Sunday, September 28, 2008

More on Dubai




I Departed the hotel at about 10AM and decided to go the Shidagha part of town. It is across the creek from Dubai and has a nice riverwalk. Located there is the Sheikh Saeed Al Maktoum House, the former residence of the Ruler. It was a museum and had different subjects in different rooms. The rooms housed pictures of old Dubai, described the marine lifestyle, stamps and coins and social life. Quite interesting.

The house was built in 1896 and this national treasure does a good job of explaining things.

After visiting the house I went into Old Dubai. Big mistake! Traffic was terrible. I wanted to visit the Gold Souk and take a look around but couldn't find a parking spot! Inching through the city I finally found my way back to RAK. I very interesting trip and will return soon. It is probally best to stick around one area and explore but I accomplished what my intentions were, to get a look around. What a place!

No comments: