Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday October 24 2008





Hello All

Hope some of you are reading my posts because I have not heard much feedback.Please communicate with me. mdtol@bex.net Seems like the financial world is going down the crapper. I was listening to one of the English speaking stations driving to Dubai today. They discussed the implications of zero down home buying and how it messed up the banking in the USA. Here you must put up a considerable amount of money to buy a property. Used to be that way in the USA till the mortgage companies messed it up.

Looks like I will be moving into my apartment Tuesday. The hotel room is closing in on me! My furniture and appliances will be delivered Sunday, Window treatments Monday. The apartment is 30km from work and the drive is easy except for the Arab drivers, they have no concept of courtesy is. They drive really fast and will climb right your ass and flash their lights. Thats when you are going 20 over the limit!

Today I took a a lot of things over to my new apartment and decided to go to Dubai (45 minute drive). Setting my sites on IKEA went to Festival City. IKEA is not my type of place. Went to a place called Plug In, makes Circuit City look like Radio Shack! Purchased a microwave, loaded it up and took off. Drove about a mile and went to the mall. Very nice, every store you could imagine, walked,walked and walked, the place is huge!

I did not realise outside the mall was the creek, more like a river but there was a boat show going on. Looked at all the boats and went back to the mall, got lost! The place is that big! I must have walked 10 miles to finally find my car. My dogs are hurting! I like to go to Dubai on Fridays because the traffic is not bad. Traffic during the week is terrible. You can be stuck in traffic for hours!

Again send be an email or comment on the blog. Weather report... Haven't seen a cloud in a week, temp HI 98 LO 80

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Sounds like you're getting set over there. I've been reading your posts since you started, as have a bunch of others from the BBS. I;ve got you as one of my home-page tabs to see how life on the other side of the world is going.

I'm sure a large number of folks would be interested in hearing about how you got hired over there, what the process is, how it all works. Where to start, where to look, what to prepare for, all of that stuff.

I would think a fair number of controllers on the verge of retiring might consider going out there if they know more about the process and getting settled in.
Love the photos and local thoughts and narrative. Keep it coming brother.

My grandfather (an Americanized Limey) told me the best way to get friendly with the ex-pat Brits where they'll lose their smug attitude about you, is to get them pissed (drunk). Get pissed with a limey, and you'll be friends for life. otherwise they usually think you're one of those long-lost colonial prudes afraid of sex and booze....

The booze part might present a problem there though, though I’m sure you know if RAK is a Emirate that allows/tolerates that.

JH@LOU

Anonymous said...

Dad, the pictures are awesome! I had no idea you were that close to Dubai...so many kids are going there straight from school, I cannot wait to come and visit! Love you Dad!