Friday, October 10, 2008

Road Trip!





















Today I decided to go up the coast road to Ajman. Ajman is located 65km south of Ras Al Khaimah on the Persian Gulf and has one of largest boat building yards in the area. And has a nice resort called the Kempenski. So off I go! Got side-tracked because I stopped at the Bin Majid resort which is ten minutes from my hotel on the beach. Took a look around and decided to take a swim in the Gulf, the water is crystal clear but warm. A lot of Russian and German folks on vacation, not pretty! From there I went back to the hotel to change and resumed my road trip, stopped at Al Hamra, I wanted to check out the complex where I will be living. Al Hamra is about a 1/2 hour drive to work but there there is everything, 5 star hotel with restaurants, beach, pools, golf course. driving range, brand new shopping mall, and grocery store that sells pork! All within walking distance. Looking forward to moving in and getting out of the hotel.

I took the coast road E11 south and enjoyed some great scenery. Stopped at the Baraccuda Beach resort only to find out there is no beach! Only a pool! Go figure! They have a web site if you would like to check it out. www.barracuda.ae

On to Ajman! Reaching the outskirts of Ajman I went into the mall and took a look around. Stopped at Dunkin Doughnuts for a coffee. Malls are the same around the world. Picked up a few things at the attached Meijer-like store and went into town. Although most of you have never heard of Ajman, the city is ten times the size of Toledo. All new! I drove along the harbor and stopped at the Kempenski Hotel, what a place! Mostly Russian and German guests. While walking around the grounds I took a few photos that I hope you enjoy. For about $500 a night you too can stay there!

I left there and started to headed back to RAK. I took a couple photos of the desert and ended this trip. I plan to do this type of thing every Friday because the traffic is light and the driving easy. Maybe Abu Dhabi next weekend!

Last night I was invited over to my co-worker Rassie's place for a evening of music and darts. Rassie, the guy without the shirt, is a South African and has been here for 8 years,great guy, he has been very helpful in getting me accustomed to the local scene and customs. Julian, the other guy in the photo, is English and has been here for about 6 months. Then another controller from Abu Dhabi center came over andI quickly discovered all controllers come from the same mold. Controllers are special breed, but we all have one thing in common "Safety above all"

Take Care
Mike

3 comments:

Mike said...

Leave a comment and let me know what you think! Mike

Unknown said...

Keep the photos coming--Awesome information--Love to hear about your adventures!!

Love,
Karen

P.S. Still want to see more of Dubai landmarks-the 7-Star Hotel, Palm Island, etc.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike,

LAF_ED50 here. FAA PC-20 controller here, I was thinking of doing the same thing. What company do you work for.