Thursday, October 30, 2008

Settling In







Hello All

I am finally moved into my new apartment and it is exceeded all my expectations. Two bedroom, new, and furnished. I have been picking up a few things here and there and made a pot of chili today. The ingredients here are not the same but it is edible. I didn't let the beans soak long enough.

About a half of a mile from my place is a 5 star hotel called Al Hammra Fort, wow what a place! So farI have counted three pools 8 resrtuants 8 bars and nice beach. Enjoy the photos! Although the beach is for guests only I just walk out there and nobody hassles me, people from all over the world come here for a vacation. Alot of Russians, Itialians, English, Europeans, Irish, you name it they are here. Language can be a problem but a couple of beers takes care of that.

Seriously this place is the finest resort I haver ever seen. Perfectly manicured gardens, service unheard of and not that expensive especially if you do not need a room. I have that covered.Two nice golf course,one here and one in RAK, my club Tower Links, and one here. Tgey will be completeing a new mall here by the end of the year. I heard the new Dubai Mall will be opening soon with over 1000 stores!

Temps have dipped to the low 90's, Turned the air off. It takes me a half an hour to get to work, easy drive. We have a grocery store with walking distance that has everything except Tony Paco's sweet hots. It is a long way here but worth the trip if you can make it. it will be the trip of your life, you will gain a totally new perspective of ything, Americans live a sheltered life I have learned. There are Indiian labours here making $350 a month and they are happy to do so, they live 4 to a room and work 12 hours a day and are happy as clams.

The job is going well I am about halfway thru my training an am on track. Stripmarking (for you ATC folks) makes no sense, Phraseology is a little different but not a problem. 1000ft between everybody. VFR and IFR. Right now we are non-radar. One in one out. Airspace is small 20X30 miles SFC-6500.. Way too much coordination! You coordinate with locals whose command of English is sometimes not good.

Friday I might go to Dubai. Haven't played golf in over a week but will play more soon, been to busy getting moved in and settled.

I would love to hear from you mdtol@bex.net, comment on the blog, or call me at +971 050 1934435

Today is my Friday and it is nearly 10PM. Think I will go out for a cold one

Take Care
Mike

2 comments:

Irish911 said...

Come on admit it, you forgot where you parked the car. I'd like to see that store that makes Circuit City look like Radio Shack.

You should have an email via my hotmail since natca net wouldn't work.

Anonymous said...

If your happy Then lifes a dream!

How about more info on your job and what the ATC separation, phraseology, adjusting to US standards to you new position.!

redfinatic@cfl.rr.com